Friday, July 26, 2013

STAY STRONG

The Close Management Cell / Florida State Prison
drawn by Daniel McKee (Florida State Prison)
Some of us have already lost, some are facing defeat
We're now paying the cost, surrounded by concrete
A lot is out of our control, or even much worse
We pay now with our soul, for things we can't reverse

Darkness is all around, yet we have no time to mourn
With dew upon the ground, comes the brand new dawn
Clouds often fill the sky, yet at times they come apart
Then the sun sits up high, brightening my broken heart

We sometimes feel the pain, of looking loneliness in the face
The tears fall down like rain, but solitude we won't embrace
In this tiny cell, I've dwelled for many years
My heart lets off a yell, for the hope that swallowed my tears

It's not over yet, for I take another breath
Though I won't forget, I admonish the thought of death
I will not choose to fail, it is meant for me to be free
I will walk freedoms trail, if only mentaly

So with the sky so very blue, the eagle spreads it's wings
After all that I've been through, I can make it through anything
The mud may be to my knees, as I trudge through life today
But tomorrow comes on the breeze, blowing all the mud away

So I hold hope near, pushing away fear and sorrow
Fighting what I hear, hoping for tomorrow
And when tomorrow finally arrives, I will be standing tall
Because only the strong survives, and I will never fall

by Ricky Silva, july 2013




2 comments:

  1. Ricky, I sometimes wonder if you see our comments. I hope someone is able to say that we comment on your blog. Yes our lives are worlds apart, but I have some understanding of SC and it is so cruel, as one has said before people in SC are dead men walking, but I don't believe you are for one moment. We read your poems and think of you. Your walls are your friends but we are too. I live in the UK and I will be shortly writing to you also. Are you able to give us any indication whether you can read our comments? I love the part about the mud in today's writing. Take care, keep strong and keep focusing on your next blog, though you are on your own in there, you are communicating with the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michaela! I sent the comments to Ricky, via snail mail. Unfortunatly the letter with your first comments in June got lost. But I sent them again and the latest too. It takes about 3 weeks until Ricky responds and you can see it here. So please be patient.
      I think he would always apprechiate a letter. :)
      But he can even read what you write here, it's just about 10 days after you posted it here.
      Best, Kat

      Delete